We are looking for a Maintenance Handyperson (Self Employed) to work two days per week across our eleven sites and office base (maximum travelling distance between sites is approx. six miles). Additional hours may be available to meet the needs of our growing organisation.
As a valued member of the team, the Handyperson plays a key role in helping us ensure our vulnerable tenants feel safe and secure, and have access to a high quality responsive repair service – striving to get tasks right first time, every time. Work is varied, and includes:
- Carpentry – putting up shelves, boxing in pipes, hanging doors
- Plumbing – Commensurate with qualifications / experience replacing washers, bleeding radiators, unblocking toilets.
- Electrical – Commensurate with qualifications – normally replacing light bulbs and fuses and alerting staff where a qualified electrician is required.
- General gardening work – trimming hedges, sweeping leaves, pruning and assembling outside furniture
- Minor lock repairs
- Moving furniture and household item between sites or to recycling centres
Involvement in larger projects / planned works will be considered for the right candidate.
You will need to have:
- experience as a general handyperson / maintenance / multi-skilled operative (experience within social housing would be an advantage)
- a range of property maintenance skills
- a friendly and approachable manner
- an understanding of confidentiality / privacy.
- a real commitment to delivering a quality service
- good communication skills
- an awareness of safe working practices
- a full UK driving licence and use of a vehicle, ideally a van. (Travelling time between sites is paid at the normal hourly rate of £11.12 per hour.)
- own tools
- Public Liability Insurance with indemnity of £5 million (prior to commencement)
The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced disclosure check by the Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) before any appointment can be confirmed (a deposit is payable towards the cost of the check, which is refunded after three months of work). They will also need to provide two references.
A detailed Job Description and Person Specification for the role can be found here:
To apply, please send in a CV which covers your full chronological employment history, plus a covering letter which explains your reasons for applying, and the skills and experience you would bring to the role.
The closing date for the role is 4pm on Wednesday 18th September 2019 and interviews will be held on the 24-25th September